As part of the nation-wide celebration of our National Park Service’s 100th anniversary, Las Cruces area tourism, business and conservation organizations on September 1 are launching a month-long celebration of the positive community and economic benefits of the region’s Organ Mountain-Desert Peaks, Prehistoric Trackways and White Sands National Monuments.
Monuments to Main Street Month is a celebration of the events, the protected public lands that surround Las Cruces, and the opportunities that both offer to the residents and visitors to our area.
As one of the many events during the month, The Las Cruces Green Chamber of Commerce and the Friends of the Organ Mountains-Desert Peaks National Monument are partnering with local artist Meg Freyermuth to hold the Inaugural Monuments to Main Street Plein Air competition, September 7th through the 10th, 2016.
2016 Registration Form
Thank you for planning on joining us for the Inaugural Monuments to Main Street Plein Air Competition. We look forward to having you participate and set a solid foundation for years to come.
Prior to registering, please review the Artists Rules and Guidelines. You will be asked to sign this form when you have your surfaces stamped at registration on Wednesday, September 7th from 9am to noon at the Las Cruces Farmers and Crafts Market. You will need to find the Monuments to Main Street Booth.
College Students: $15 (current NMSU/DACC or other college id required at time of registration. OR, above the age of 18).
Student: $10 (ages 12-18)
$5 Early bird discount – Now through September 6th
Your registration fee will be discounted $5 if you register by COB on Tuesday, September 6th. You must contact the Green Chamber Offices to arrange payment and pre-registration at 575-323-1575.
Refunds will not be provided, although you may use your registration the following year should an unforeseen event cause you to cancel.
- Complete the form on the following page.
- Turn in completed form and payment at the Monuments to Main Street Booth on Wednesday, September 7th between 9am and noon. Checks should be made out to: Las Cruces Green Chamber of Commerce
- Please read the Instructions and Guidelines prior to registering. You will be asked to sign an acknowledgment form at the time of registration.
Printable version of Registration instructions and form:
2016 Plein Air Artist Registration
2016 Rules and Guidelines
(For a printable version, click the link at the end of the guidelines)
The following items must be agreed to for participation in the 2016 Monuments to Main Street Plein Air Competition.
- Authentication stamp must be visible on the back of the artwork. The entire back of the entry must be visible at submission.
- Entries must be created in the pure intent of outdoor, on location, plein air At least 75% of the painting must be produced outdoors in the spirit of plein air. The approved locations to paint include Doña Ana county and White Sands National Monument.
- Entries produced using manipulated photographic processes, computer enhanced imagery or other non-plein air means will not be accepted.
- Only one stamped canvas per artist may be entered into the competition. You can have as many canvases as you want stamped. However, only one can be entered for judging.
- Artist name, artwork title, and date should be legibly printed on the back of submitted artwork.
- All paintings must have a wire on the back for hanging. The maximum size of the artwork should not exceed 16” X20”. Framing is not required.
- If you are concerned about the protection and integrity of your submitted piece, we recommend you put it under glass for protection. Please sign your piece in the bottom right hand corner of the canvass. It will be covered for judging. You are not required to sign your piece.
- Registration takes place on Wednesday, September 7th from 9am to noon at the Farmers and Crafts Market on Main Street. Look for the Monuments to Main Street booth. Registration payment will be taken at that time in the form of cash, credit card, or check. Payment must accompany a completed registration form. Checks must be made out to: Las Cruces Green Chamber of Commerce.
- If you want to sell your piece, please indicate when you turn in your submission on September 10th for judging. Checks for the sale of any artwork will mailed after the 10th of September.
- You will have from September 7th through September 9th to paint anywhere in designated areas (Monuments to Main Street is the theme).
- On Saturday, September 10th, you will need to turn in the one piece for judging between 8:30am and 10 am at the Monuments to Main Street Plein Air Judging will take place at 11am. Awards will be announced at noon.
- You will be able to claim your artwork between 12:30 and 1pm. Any artwork that is not picked up by 1:00pm on September 10th becomes property of the plein air
- Winners of the 2016 plein air competition agree to the unlimited future use of their images in any of the Monuments to Main Street Plein air competition publicity (website, posters, advertisements, etc.).
- Awards for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place will be given in each category (Professional, College, and Junior).
- PRE-Registration can be done up to the September 6th. You must visit the Las Cruces Green Chamber offices (address below) and submit payment and registration form in order to receive the pre-registration rate. If you pre-register, you will receive $5 off of your fee.
- Registered artists agree to respect both private property owners by securing permission to go onto their property and public lands. This means following the use regulations of the various land management agencies (i.e. staying on designated roads and trails, being respectful of private property, not removing any items, plants, animals from monument areas, etc.). If you have questions about this, please ask the plein air
Artists will be asked to confirm that the above rules and guidelines were followed when artwork was submitted for the competition.
For more information, contact Carrie Hamblen, CEO/President of the Las Cruces Green Chamber of Commerce, at 221 N. Main Street, 575-323-1575 or email@example.com