Local Foods Marketing Specialist
Full-Time, 32 hours/week, Non-exempt
To print a paper copy of this job posting, click this link: Marketing & Promotion Specialist draft FINAL
La Semilla Food Center is a 501c3 nonprofit organization established in 2010, the result of community garden, youth development, and food system education efforts in southern New Mexico. Owing to these efforts, La Semilla is the only nonprofit organization solely devoted to fostering a healthy Paso del Norte region food system. Since our inception we have taught thousands of students, youth, teachers, and families how to grow and cook fresh food while establishing a 14 acre education and demonstration farm in Anthony, New Mexico. We are committed to building strong relationships that empower youth and families to grow and cook good food, create positive change, and foster connections between food, health, and local economies.
The Las Cruces Green Chamber of Commerce & La Semilla Food Center seek an energetic and experienced individual with a passion for food and retail to develop local foods marketing and promotion programs that effectively support food-based business growth and expansion, positively impact the local foods economy, and improve business marketing of promotions that grow sales.
Position Summary: This 32-hour per week position works under the supervision of Carrie Hamblen, CEO/President of the Las Cruces Green Chamber of Commerce and is housed in the Green Chambers office in downtown Las Cruces. This position is funded by a three year USDA Local Foods Promotion Program grant that aims to keep consumer dollars in Las Cruces by supporting local farmers, food artisans, and other local businesses, and providing jobs for people in the area.
PRINCIPLE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Participate in development of marketing plan and budget.
- Cull existing curriculum materials & develop curriculum and programming for local foods marketing workshops and tailored technical assistance programs.
- Lead all program marketing and promotions programs on an ongoing basis.
- Create and manage promotions programs and/or campaigns–such as flyers, recipes, samples, gifts, coupons, and cause promotions–in accordance with marketing plan.
- Conduct outreach, recruitment, and marketing for workshop series and tailored technical assistance programs.
- Provide marketing and promotion assistance to food-based businesses.
- Connect food-based businesses with appropriate graphic designers, web developers, and others to help brand, market, and promote.
- Coordinate and facilitate workshops with project partners on all marketing and promotion topics include google, facebook, print media, branding, etc.
- Assist businesses in setting and meeting local food sourcing goals.
QUALIFICATIONS/SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE REQUIREMENTS
- Minimum of three years of experience in promotions and advertising, with preference for local foods marketing experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, business communications or business administration preferred.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish, strongly preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills and a demonstrated ability to develop written proposals and resources.
- Strong organizational skills including strong attention to detail.
- Experience with online/digital campaigns a plus.
- Willingness and ability to learn and grow to meet the changing requirements of the job.
- Familiarity with local food systems and farming a plus.
- Reliable transportation, prompt, and dependable.
- Ability to foster and maintain a spirit of unity, teamwork, and cooperation.
Salary & Benefits
This is a 32 hour per week position with competitive pay ($19.25/hour) and excellent benefits, including paid holidays and time off, Health/dental/vision insurance, and Simple IRA.
Please email a cover letter, resume, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled
La Semilla Food Center and the Las Cruces Green Chamber are equal opportunity employers.